The G.O.A.T retires

Serena William announced her retirement this month and the US Open is her last as we speak. A pro at the age of 14, who won more Grand Slam singles titles (23) than any other woman or man during the open era. She has been celebrated by every notable brand, tennis enthusiast, women of color … basically everyone.
But this post isn't about her, this is about my G.O.A.T Steffi Graf , the genius who inspired me to watch the sport - Lawn Tennis. She announced her retirement somewhere around my birthday in August 1999 , I was in 10th standard and I read it in a newspaper next day. There was no build-up...22 Grand Slam singles titles ,2nd most of all time during the open era. Her life seemed less of build-up or hype even  when she got married to Andre Agassi and finally when she walked away from the sport.
Lawn tennis was the first ever sport I watched and followed diligently through the 90s and early 2000s (may be till Martina Hingis)...Steffi Graf was my icon...my hero . She inspired me every time she stepped in to the court. Her versatility across all playing surfaces, footwork and powerful forehand drive. For me she was a perfect balance of masculine and feminine energy, the yin and yang and an exceptionally calm athlete.
Of all the greatest rivalry in court Graf had some notable opponents that any kid in the 90s would remember. I enjoyed Graf- Seles rivalry the most. Monica Seles the wonder woman she had an aggressive style of playing and the unfortunate incident on court that changed her entire trajectory. But like any loyal fan I always rooted for Graf. I watched very few Graf–Navratilova matches because most of them were played in late 80s and I don't think I understood anything at age 7 or 8. The 3rd rivalry pair so to speak and also the most understated was Graf - Vicario , I followed a bit of it in mid-90s was . Head-to-head Vicario had far lesser no. of titles.
Lawn tennis still is an elite sport for me that has many childhood memories attached. It was something I enjoyed watching with my Papa...we bonded watching the Wimbledon and French Open on Doordarshan. To more power to women in sports every where!

Comments